Sunday, August 31

What's your brand portfolio?

I was reading some comments on the Idea Sandbox blog today that stopped me in my tracks (okay, slight exaggeration). The topic was brands: one person was slamming corporations and brands while shouting about how she was such a fan of Adbusters, itself a brand. Yes, we all love our brands, so, without thinking about it too much, I thought I'd write down five brands that I am somewhat passionate about in the sense that I make a point of using them or would like to use them in future:

1. Gillette Mach III razors.
2. Pioneer CDJ1000 MkIII CD turntable.
3. Volkswagen Golf/Rabbit.
4. Levis 501 jeans.
5. Marlboro Lights (when I used to smoke).

Believe me. There are many more.

Throw out the idea that you're above all this brand stuff and share five that are part of your life.

Bonus Link of the Week: London Business School Podcasts

2 Comments:

Blogger Paul (from Idea Sandbox) said...

Thanks for reading Idea Sandbox. I caught the branded anti-brand statement as well. Thanks for the link.

I'm living in Amsterdam right now, so I don't have access to all of my American brands. It has made me both aware of what I prefer as well as realize *other* brands that may be even better/different.

Here five of mine:

Coca-Cola - Pepsi's fine, but it's not Coke
Q-Tips Brand Cotton Swabs - all other brands
Apple Computer - back in the day, Apple invented the interface - that's what I was drawn to. sure you can get a pc, less expensive, but I'm loyal
Moleskine - I keep trying other brands of small notebooks (always have something with me to capture ideas), but Molekine work the best
Nestle Chocolate Chips (for making the Tollhouse Cookie Recipe)

2:17 AM  
Blogger Gordon Graham said...

Thanks Paul. Very interesting reading that -- it seems that people can be passionate about some categories and indifferent to others. But never indifferent to all categories and all brands.

8:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home