Monday, October 24

Too many terms

There are many different definitions of innovation flying around. There are also many different terms for the various stages/phases within the innovation process, which can be thought of simply as taking an idea to cash ("monetizing an idea" sounds too naff to be used in Broken Bulbs, me thinks). The initial phases of this process consist more of thinking (initiation) while the later stages consist more of doing (implementation). The early initiation phase requires "doing the right thing" (deep understanding of markets a must); and the implementation phase requires "doing it right."

There is also a distinction made between the activities that occur before a product is actually developed, often called predevelopment activities, and those that occur after. Predevelopment activities have also been referred to as "early development" (Kleinschmidt and Cooper, 1991); "preproject" (Verganti, 1997); "fuzzy front end" (Murphy and Kumar, 1997); and "front end" (Khurana and Rosenthal, 1997).

Getting some of these terms defined for your firm is a crucial step in getting on top of this whole innovation thing. Half a day is all it takes.

PS. I've been listening to the BBC broadcast in the previous post. If you haven't listened to it yet, I suggest you do. It really is good!



Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger EYE2EYE said...

Hi Gordon,

What I find interesting about your blog is the fact that you are focussing on the Asia markets.

I have returned to Australia after living in Shanghai for three years and working on Dong Hua University for La Salle DHU International Design College as Program Director of Graphic Design.

Nowadays I run the Arts & Media department at two campuses in the North Coast Institute of TAFE, a national vocational training provider in Australia.

Coming from a design background I am naturally interested in innovation and design thinking as it benefits business through service design, product development and branding etc.

I am also very interested in online educationa and have run several collaborative projects with groups of students in Australia and China using simple web technologies. SO I think we may have some things in common.

I too blog and you may be interested to checkout these links:
http://www.cph127.com/
THis is an exciting project about design and innovation and we are in fact looking for voices from the Asia region. Have a look and if interested get involved.

http://aiffhead.blogspot.com/
This is my own blog which has a China focus.

I am looking to relocate my family back to Shanghai during 2006 to continue developeing my business interests there.

How do you like Taipei?

Ian

1:34 AM  
Blogger Gordon Graham said...

Hi Ian! Thanks for visiting the blog and I will check out your blog also! I like Taipei a lot and I would urge anybody to come and visit "the renegade province" (as the government in China call it!!). Very friendly people; increasingly cosmopolitan feel to the place; and you can get all the foodstuffs that you would normally get in Oz (apart from a few things of course).
Best wishes
Gordon

9:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home